RANGERS Women left Forfar yesterday with three points from a 3-0 win at Station Park, all but guaranteeing a fourth-place finish in the league. 

It didn’t take long for Amy McDonald’s side to put pressure on Forfar, Clare Gemmell took a free-kick just in front of the halfway line. The long pass found an extended Jade Gallon at the back post and despite connecting with the shot, she couldn’t direct the shot past the Forfar goalkeeper.

This set the general tone to the game, with Rangers getting forward and enjoying a lot of possession.

There was wave after wave of attacking moves in to the home side’s box, with the opponent’s keeper saving them from going behind. The woodwork saved them, with the bar denying a Brogan Hay free-kick from 25 yards out.

Carla Boyce then had a chance to give Rangers the lead only for it to be ruled offside. Amy Muir stole the ball just inside the Forfar half, then played a long through ball down the left wing to Gallon, who cut back and flicked a high ball into the box.

The ball was met by Boyce at the edge of the six-yard box as she got above the defender to head the ball into the back of the net, only for the goal not to be given.

Rangers finally took the lead after 38 minutes as Eddie played a deep pass from midfield which split the opposition defence. This allowed Gallon to run in to the Forfar box where she shot across goal and found the bottom left-hand corner, giving the visitors a much-deserved lead.

In the opening minutes of the second half, Rangers had doubled their lead through captain Gemmell as her corner curved around the Forfar goalkeeper to nestle in the back of the net.

That second goal allowed Rangers to control the tempo and assert their authority, as the hosts struggled to dispossess them. Then, just before the hour mark, Rangers grabbed a third goal that put the game to bed.

Boyce played a ball in to the edge of the host’s box and as an advancing Gallon came to meet it she was brought down by a defender, forcing the referee to point to the spot. Gallon stepped up to take it and converted from the spot, sending the keeper the wrong way for her second of the game.

Gemmell then came close with another set play and Jade Gallon came close to getting her hat-trick, but Forfar will able to keep it to just three goals.

Overall it was a fantastic performance for a travelling Rangers side. The defence really controlled the Forfar attack, barely giving them a sniff on goal. The result means the women move three points clear of Forfar. Meaning only a 19 goal swing in the final round of fixtures could see Rangers drop below yesterday’s opponents.

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk