RANGERS Women progressed to the fourth round of the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup with a convincing 6-0 victory over Glasgow Girls.

A double from Hannah Robertson and a Chantelle Brown strike had the Gers 3-0 up at the break before Laura McCartney added to the scoring in the second half.

Gregory Vignal’s side started bright and had an early chance after just two minutes as Hannah Coakley found Chantelle Brown on the left and the winger shot across goal beating the keeper but her shot fell just wide of the post.

Early pressure paid off for Rangers and they were ahead after just five minutes as a cross by Ellis Dalgleish met Hannah Robertson in the middle and the forward tapped home from close range.

Rangers continued to pressure and good work from Laura McCartney and Hannah Robertson on the right resulted in a shot for Holly Napier at the edge of the box but her curled effort drifted just wide of the target.

Gregory Vignal’s side had a second after just 16 minutes as Chantelle Brown cut inside from the left and played the ball back to Clare Gemmell, who found the return to Brown who had continued her run and fired a powerful shot past Toni Harkness in the visitor’s goal.

Glasgow Girls broke up the park on the 22 minute as Kirsten McGuire made a good run down the right before finding Chloe Docherty in the box but her shot was saved comfortably by Rangers goalkeeper Khym Ramsay.

There was almost a second for Hannah Robertson on the half hour mark as Laura McCartney found her run but the shot was just wide of the post.

Rangers had a third before the break as captain Clare Gemmell played a long ball forward into the path of Chantelle Brown. Brown crossed a dangerous ball in from the left which Hannah Robertson converted for her second of the afternoon.

It was almost a fourth in added time of the first half as Gemmell’s free-kick from 25-yards out was pushed wide by Glasgow Girls goalkeeper Toni Harkness.

There was an early chance for Rangers in the second half as Hannah Robertson crossed to Laura McCartney but her shot was wide of the target.

Gregory Vignal’s side had a fourth on 50 minutes as Chelsie Watson played a long ball forward to half-time substitute Rosie Mcquillan.

Mcquillan made ground down the left wing before finding Laura McCartney in space in the box and she made no mistake in adding to the scoring slotting low past the keeper.

There was almost a fifth for Rangers on the hour mark as Chelsie Watson’s free-kick from the edge of the box was pushed onto the bar by the Glasgow Girls goalkeeper before being cleared to safety.

The fifth did come just a few minutes later as Brogan Hay found Gill Inglis in space at the edge of the box and the Rangers number 2 fired an effort towards goal which was spilled by the Toni Harkness in the visitor’s goal and bounced into the back of the net.

The scoring for the afternoon was rounded off by Brogan Hay with 10 minutes to go as she beat the goalkeeper with a great strike from the edge of the box.

Rangers: Ramsay, Macdonald (Inglis, 61), Coakley, Watson, O’Hara, Napier, Gemmell, McCartney (S.Robertson, 72), H. Robertson (Hay, 61), Brown (Mcquillan, 45), Dalgliesh. Subs not used: Honeyman.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk