IT was a Sunday to forget for Amy McDonald and her team, as her young squad controlled large parts of their league match against Forfar Farmington but ended up on the losing side.

Going into the game only goal difference separated the two sides, with Forfar ahead by just one goal.

It was the away team that began the game on the front foot, with Sarah Robertson registering the first shot of the game from the edge of the 18-yard box. But after this, the home side began to come into the game, with their defence settling down.

The Rangers midfield made it hard for Forfar with a lot of high pressure defending, forcing the opposition to the wings to try and get chances. Forfar’s first chance came seven minutes in with a loose corner finding their striker at the back post, but pressure from Amy Muir was enough to force the attacker’s shot wide of the goal.

Khym Ramsey was forced into a save a few minutes later as a looping corner heading towards her goal was punched away. The Rangers defence was limiting Forfar from open play, with the home side struggling to get into the Gers box, resulting in Ramsey having little to do for a large part of the first-half.

A good one-two between Brown and Robertson released the utility left back down the wing, cutting back before a Forfar defender cleared from eight yards out. Rangers were beginning to put real pressure on the home side’s goal, as Robertson then put a shot on target from distance.

From the set piece, Rangers where causing problems but were just missing the final touch in the box to break the deadlock. But for all their pressure, it was the Light Blues who went behind. A deep ball from the midfield opened things up for Danni McGinley, and she rounded Ramsey and slotted home from a tight angle.

At the break, Rangers found themselves unlucky to be a goal down, having had a lot a pressure that was never converted into a goal.

Brown came close early in the second half as a corner routine opened up a chance for her on the edge of the box and she just put the shot wide of the post. Rangers started the second half much like they ended the first, putting pressure on the Forfar box, but they had no goal to show, with many shots going just wide of the goal.

For large periods of the second half, both teams struggled as a battle in the midfield stifled a lot of opportunities for the sides.

On the 66th minute, Jade Gallon had received a pass from Brogan Hay on the right-hand side and a scoop turn inside allowed her to open-up play followed by a one-two with Hay, giving Jade Gallon a shot that she put just wide. The Gallon twins had caused Forfar a lot problems at both ends with Lauren Gallon making a strong tackle which resulted in a pass letting her sibling through on goal where she just missed the shot.

In the later stages, McDonald’s side really started to press Forfar again, with substitute Holly Napier playing a role in spreading wide to Hay and Brown. Late on, Jade Gallon started a good chance from the Rangers defence as she passed wide to Brown on the left and her cut back inside got to the feet of Hay. She let fly from 14 yards out and forced the Forfar’s goalkeeper, Fiona McNicoll, into a low save at her near post.

In the end Rangers paid for their missed chances, with the home side running down the clock to claim a vital victory.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to