RANGERS Under-19’s progressed to the next round of the UEFA Youth League with a 2-1 win over Slovan Bratislava. 

A double from Nathan Young-Coombes was enough to see the young Gers through to the third round.

Boss Graeme Murty made changes three from the side which played that evening, with Lewis Budinauckas, Rhys Breen and Murray Miller being replaced by Jay Hogarth, Zac Butterworth and Ben Williamson in the starting eleven.

It was the home side who had the first real chance of the game as Filip Lichy was played through by Denis Potoma but his drilled effort was saved by Jay Hogarth.

Potoma had a chance of his own shortly after but Hogarth was on hand again to push away the effort.

Zac Butterworth had a chance for the Gers as a ball forward from Nathan Patterson met Nathan Young-Coombes out wide but it was blocked by the keeper.

It was a good spell for the Light Blues as Dapo Mebude used his pace to run through one-on-one with the keeper but his shot was saved by Martin Trnovsky.

Ben Williamson was next to threaten as a free-kick swung into the box by James Maxwell fell for the  Rangers midfielder on the edge of the box but his powerful strike bounced back off the crossbar.

It was the home side who took the lead on the 34th minute as Roman Cerepkai found the overlapping run of Alexander Toth and the full-back drilled a shot across goal beyond Jay Hogarth.

Rangers got the vital away goal in first-half injury time as good work down the left from James Maxwell saw the ball break for Kai Kennedy who flicked a ball into the path of Nathan Young-Coombes who slotted beyond the goalkeeper.

Young-Coombes had another chance just after the break as Kai Kennedy swung a free-kick into the box but it was headed just wide by the Gers striker.

The striker did get his second of the game on the 53rd minute as Ben Williamson played the ball out to Nathan Patterson who had made a good run down the right. Patterson picked out Young-Coombes with his delivery and he made no mistake in drilling a powerful shot into the back of the net.

The Gers saw out the game comfortably with substitute Aaron Lyall almost adding a third late on as he found space and cut inside to get his shot away but it was saved by the goalkeeper.

Rangers: Hogarth, Patterson, Maxwell, Mayo, Finlayson, Young-Coombes, Williamson, Mebude (Lyall, 75), Dickson, Kennedy. Subs: McConnell, Breen, McClelland, Miller, McKinnon, Ritchie-Hosler.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk