LIVERPOOL ran out 3-2 winners against Rangers in this afternoon’s Legends game as icons from both clubs took to the Ibrox turf.

Luis Garcia opened the scoring for Liverpool before Patrik Berger struck a second. The Gers, managed by Alex McLeish, pulled one back through Kris Boyd but Liverpool restored their two-goal lead as Emile Heskey got on the scoresheet.

Peter Lovenkrands reduced the deficit again before the break getting Rangers’ second of the game.

Steven Gerrard and Richard Gough led the teams out at Ibrox, and it was the Liverpool captain who had the first chance after a one-two with Emile Heskey, but Neil Alexander held on to the shot well.

Rangers were awarded a penalty by referee Don Robertson on the fifth minute as Peter Lovenkrands found Kris Boyd in the box with the striker fouled.

Boyd stepped up to the spot himself but dragged his right-footed shot wide of Jerzy Dudek’s goal.

Liverpool Legends took the lead on the ninth minute as Dirk Kuyt crossed a ball into the box which was met by the head of Luis Garcia to beat Neil Alexander.

It was two for Liverpool on the 17th minute as Steven Gerrard went on a run from his own half before playing wide to Garcia who crossed a ball back into the box which was fired home by Patrik Berger.

Just after the goal, Lee McCulloch found Peter Lovenkrands with a good ball as Rangers looked for a reply but the current Rangers Academy coach’s header hit the side netting.

Rangers Legends had one back on the 25th minute as Lee McCulloch played the ball forward to Boyd and the Rangers number 9 made no mistake this time as he slotted low beyond Jerzy Dudek.

Liverpool added a third on the 27th minute as Steven Gerrard slipped the ball through to Emile Heskey who was running though on goal and chipped the ball over Neil Alexander.

Rangers forward Peter Lovenkrands got another back for the Light Blues just a minute later as Sasa Papac’s cross was headed across the box and Lovenkrands got the break of the ball and fired a right-footed shot into the back of the net.

Gerrard came close to getting on the scoresheet for Liverpool on the 40th minute but his shot from close range was denied by the crossbar.

Early in the second-half Dirk Kuyt missed a great opening as he fired wide from close range before Sasa Papac saw his shot was deflected and bounced just wide of the target.

Neil Alexander denied Liverpool a fourth on the 65th minute with a fantastic double save as he blocked a shot from Steven Gerrard which landed at Luis Garcia who was again denied by the Rangers number 1.

Just a minute later Alexander was called into action again as he got a hand on a curling effort from Gregory Vignal, who had pulled on a Liverpool shirt for the second-half.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was substituted on the 70th minute as the Ibrox faithful awaited the Gers boss pulling on a Light Blue shirt.

That did come on the on the 80th minute as Gerrard took to the pitch to play the last 10 minutes as Rangers number 8.

There was almost an equaliser on the 89th minute for Rangers as Alex Rae hit the bar with his powerful shot from distance.

Rangers: Alexander, Hutton, Gough, Papac, McCulloch, Boyd, Albertz, Rae, Buffell, Cuellar, Lovenkrands. Subs: Hill, Mendes, Gerrard, Mols, Novo, Andrews, Johansson, Vignal, Adam.

Liverpool: Dudek, McAteer, Carragher, Johnson, Enrique, Pennant, Gerrard, Garcia, Berger, Kuyt, Heskey. Subs: Kirkland, Warnock, Thompson.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to