RANGERS made it back-to-back victories in the Scottish Premiership this afternoon with a well-earned win over Partick Thistle.

Ross McCrorie, with his first for the club, and Daniel Candeias, had the Light Blues 2-0 to the good at half-time before Josh Windass made it three two minutes after the break.

Before kick-off, Ibrox fell silent in remembrance of those who have sacrificed themselves for their country, with the occasion also marked by a stunning poppy display in the Sandy Jardine Stand.

The opening stages of this one were rather tentative. Both sides enjoyed some good possession in dangerous areas, but either a shot or a key pass always seemed to be missing.

Indeed, it took 16 minutes of the game for a chance of note, and it came from the boot of Ryan Jack, who, after being allowed space to shoot from the edge of the box, brought a good save out of Tomas Cerny in the Jags’ goal.

Jack was then involved in the home side’s next attack. Set away down the right by Alfredo Morelos, he cut into the box and looked to slide the ball across goal for the incoming Josh Windass. His pass had just too much on it though, and the Scotland man may well have been better going for goal himself.

Just before the half-hour mark though, Gers took the lead – and it was a special moment for Ross McCrorie who grabbed his first goal for the club.

Both Kenny Miller and Candeias stood over the ball at the corner flag, with Miller taking it short for the Portuguese to deliver. He found the head of McCrorie in the middle – and what a header it was from the 19 year-old, right into the top corner and well beyond the reach of Cerny.

From there, Murty’s men really took a strong grip of proceedings. It should have been 2-0 at the end of a lightning break when Candeias found Windass on the edge of the box, but his shot was charged down.

That second goal didn’t take long to come however. From midfield, Jason Holt began a superb run which took him past a host of Thistle players and into the penalty area.

Cerny came to smother his effort on goal, but the ball broke to Candeias on the edge of the box, and he stroked the ball home.

Holt almost deserved the goal for what was a quite excellent run – but Candeias too deserves praise for keeping his composure to hand Gers an interval cushion.

Two minutes after the break, two became three with Josh Windass making it two goals in a week fro him.

Thistle defender Jordan Turnbull was short with his header back to Cerny, and in nipped Windass, who retained his composure to slide the ball under the goalkeeper.

Some of Gers football from that point on was superb. Daniel Candeias, who was having an excellent match, produced a sublime flick to get away from Steven Lawless on halfway, and he hared down the right and cut the ball back for Windass in the middle. He then flicked the ball back for the incoming Kenny Miller, but his shot was over the bar.

Thistle too began to come more and more into the game, their best opportunity coming from a  Kris Doolan shot which narrowly slipped by.

So 3-0 it finished, with the Light Blues entering the international break in fine fettle.


RANGERS: Foderingham; Tavernier, Wilson, McCrorie, John; Candeias, Jack, Holt, Windass (Kranjcar, 69); Miller, Morelos 9Hardie, 85)

SUBS NOT USED: Alnwick, Herrera, Hodson, Alves, Barjonas.

PARTICK THISTLE: Cerny, Turnbull, Keown, Spittal, Lawless (Nisbet, 85), Barton, Devine, McGinn, Sammon (Doolan, 58), Edwards, Storey (Fraser, 72)

SUBS NOT USED: Scully, Nitriansky, Wilson.

REFEREE: Willie Collum



Article Copyright © 2018. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk

3 - 0


56% 44%

All Stats & Lineup