HARRY Forrester recreated his incredible form against Dundee as he rescued all three points for the Gers with a superb header in stoppage time.

The substitute scored his third in three games against the Dees after the Gers looked like they would have to settle for a draw.

Mark Warburton’s side had laid siege to the Dundee goal in the second period but couldn’t find the clinical edge until Forrester popped up in the 93rd minute.

Rangers dominated the game and began in that fashion with nine minutes gone when Josh Windass picked out Joe Garner with a perfectly weighted through ball. The striker turned on six pence to shrug off the Dees defender and shoot low but his strike whizzed just past the left post.

Garner was looking lively and went close again five minutes later, latching onto a long ball up field from Rob Kiernan when it was nodded into his path by Darren O’Dea. The striker was grappling with the centre-back but found time to spot the keeper off his line and his attempted lob landed just inches short of the target on the roof of the net.

The Lancashire lad turned provider moments later when Windass laid a short ball off to him and he picked out Miller on the left of the box. The pass was perfect as it bounced just in front of Scott Bain, who was coming out to meet Miller, but the 36-year-old couldn’t find the connection to poke the ball home as he stormed into the six yard box.

Dundee has failed to really threaten when 25 minutes ticked onto the clock but an Andy Halliday foul 30 yards out handed them a chance from the set piece. Tom Hateley, son of Ibrox legend Mark, sized it up and sent Wes Foderingham scampering to his right to turn the ball round the upright.

The resulting corner was another warning to the Gers as Marcus Haber missed a sitter of a header, unmarked, at the far post. The Light Blues defence rallied to scramble the ball out of the danger area but it served as a reminder that Dundee could do some damage if gifted the opportunities.

Windass had a great opportunity to put the Gers ahead on 37 minutes in a move the 22-year-old started himself. He played a quick ball off to Miller on the edge of the area, who with his back to goal found Garner. The striker was lurking just outside the box and immediately returned the ball to Windass, who had darted into the six yard box. Ultimately though the midfielder presented himself with too tough an angle to lift the ball over Bain, who saved, and his chance went begging.

The sides went in at the break goalless but within minutes of the restart Windass and Garner were linking up again. Windass called for the ball wide on the right and sent a pacey cross along the by-line to meet Garner. The 28-year-old was planted centrally and tried to chest it beyond Bain but couldn’t find the back of the net. The search for an opener went on.

Dundee tried one from distance just before the hour mark, pouncing on the counter with the ball finding its way to Paul McGowan 30 yards out. His strike only whistled over Foderingham’s crossbar by inches.

The Ibrox crowd roared for their side to give them a goal but when Miller was found at the far post on 61 minutes he couldn’t plant his header on target. Windass had sprayed a ball out to James Tavernier on the right and the full-back’s cross hung in the air for Miller to get the nod on it but to no avail.

Hateley had tested Foderingham’s reflexes in the first-half and did so again in the second period with the Gers number one pulling a great save off from his free-kick out on the left. The Dundee man used his right foot to try and curl the ball into the top corner of Foderingham’s goal but at full stretch he managed to get a palm to it and turn the ball out.

Jason Holt saved the Gers blushes with 21 minutes to play when Haber cut a lightening quick ball along the by-line and it looked destined to be turned over the line by a Dundee frontman. Holt was there to make the last ditch clearance though as he slid in yards from goal.

Holt then popped up at the other end as he made mazey run into the box. He looked to have lost the ball but picked it back up as it bounced off a Dees defender and back into his path. His shot was low and powerful and Bain did ever so well to turn it out for a corner.

It was becoming agonising for Rangers and it was summed up when substitute Joe Dodoo sent a rapid ball across the goalmouth and the onrushing Garner missed tapping it into the net by just milliseconds.

Four minutes showed up on the fourth official’s board and Rangers knew it was now or never. Dodoo cut inside off the left flank to send a brilliant right-footed cross onto Forrester’s head. The 76th minute sub produced an exceptional glancing header with his back to goal and it bounced beyond Bain to sneak in at the far post and send Ibrox wild.

RANGERS: Foderingham, Tavernier, Hill, Kiernan, Wallace; Halliday, Holt, Windass (McKay 65’); O’Halloran (Dodoo 71’), Garner, Miller (Forrester 76’)

Subs not used: Gilks, Wilson, Hodson, Crooks

Goals: Forrester 93′

Yellows: Halliday 67’

DUNDEE: Bain, Holt, Vincent, O’Dea, Hateley, McGowan, Haber (Williams 90′), Gadzhalov, Kerr, Wigton (El Bakhtaoui 78’), Gomis

Subs not used: Mitchell, Loy, Duffy, Extabeguren, Ross

Yellows: Holt 40’, O’Dea 81’

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk

1 - 0

Forrester 92′


70% 30%

All Stats & Lineup