It was captain fantastic as Lee Wallace opened the scoring with a superb volley and he was joined on the scoresheet by Martyn Waghorn and sub Nicky Law. 

Wallace was greeted by a banner of his face and the words “CAPTAIN” as he led the teams out and he rewarded the fans with his fourth goal of the season.

Waghorn is now just one away from double figures for the season and the result takes the team’s goal tally to 22 for the season in the league.

Rangers burst alive on four minutes when Nathan Oduwa threaded in Waghorn one on one. Darren Jamieson had to be quick to get down and turn his shot around the post. Jason Holt tried an effort from range after Gers worked the resulting corner, it whistled over the bar but it was clear Warburton’s men were looking to make an early impact.

With 16 minutes gone Wallace did make the breakthrough with a truly stunning take from 30 yards. Andy Halliday took a short free-kick that fell to Barrie McKay in the box and it looked as if it was failed effort at first. But the clearance fell to the captain lurking outside the area and he took it on the volley to cannon a strike home.

Wes Foderingham had hearts in mouths five minutes later when he failed to command his area with Liam Buchanan onrushing. He tried to collect at the striker’s feet but lost it and had to jump on the loose ball to save his blushes.

The Gers players were joined by the entirety of Ibrox as they had two penalty shouts waved away within a minute of each other. First Waghorn looked to have had his heels clipped and then Gedion Zelalem was tripped in full flight as he skipped into the box.

But Livi were looking to create some chances of their own and Buchanan was making movements at the other end again. He galloped through on goal to unleash a superb effort that grazed the bar with 28 minutes gone.

It was nearly another James Tavernier special just after the half-hour mark. He stepped up to take the central free-kick and whipped a curling effort inches round the left upright to gasps from the crowd. But the Light Blues wouldn’t leave it long before they gave Ibrox what they wanted.

With five minutes to go until half-time Waghorn got his ninth of the season from what seemed a half chance. Three Livingston defenders were in a bank across the goalmouth when he turned on the tightest of sixpences in front of them. That wasn’t going to put the in form striker off, as he found a way to slot the ball between them and into the bottom right hand corner.

With the second-half well underway Rangers had struggled to get a real hold of the game again. There were some free-kick efforts from Tavernier and Halliday but both fell short and Oduwa and Zelalem were being frustrated as they failed to find an opening through their tricky.

Warburton made a double change with 63 minutes gone as Kenny Miller and Nicky Law came on and it seemed to spark the game into life, with a series of tasty tackles flying in from the visitors.

In fact Rangers had failed to record a shot on target in the second period until Law lashed one home ten minutes from time. Miller fed him in with a short ball on the left of the area. The midfielder skipped on the spot, to daze the Lions backline, before lifting his strike and cracking it into the roof of the net.

RANGERS: Foderingham, Tavernier, Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace, Zelalem (Shiels 74’), Halliday, Holt (Law 63’), McKay (Miller 63’), Waghorn, Oduwa

Subs not used: Kelly, Ball, Aird, Hardie

Goals: Wallace 16, Waghorn 40’, Law 80’

Yellows: Miller 90’

LIVINGSTON: Jamieson, Millen, Longridge, Cole, Sives (Neill 28’), Pittman, Faria, Hippolyte, Gallagher, Buchanan (Mullen 70’), Glen

Subs not used: Gould, White, Gibbons, Georgieu, Sherrin

Yellows: Cole 15’, Longridge 27’, Hippolyte 65’, Pittman 76’

Attendance: 44,832

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to

3 - 0

Wallace 16′Waghorn 41′Law 80′


66% 34%

All Stats & Lineup