Steve Davis was the match-winning hero with a goal in the 36th minute but it was all about guts and courage as Rangers clinched the win they wanted so badly,

Now with three games left they are top of the table by two points and the title could be coming back at last.

Steve Davis must have dreamed about the moment. Having grown up a Rangers supporter, he no doubt played out the scenario as a kid on the streets in Northern Ireland.

And it came to pass in the 36th minute. It was brilliant work from Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller in particular which created the opportunity and there was no way Davis was going to miss.

Boyd worked his way into the box on the left side and played the ball to Miller who cleverly darted to his left to create some space.

Looking up he saw Davis make his run and drove over a low left foot cross which eluded the Celtic defenders and found Davis who connected with his right boot.

His momentum took him into the Celtic net as he celebrated right in front of the visiting fans.

It was a crucial moment in a match which had been tight to that point. Indeed, if anything Celtic had enjoyed better possession without doing anything with it.

That changed in the 44th minute when Davis proved to be a hero at the other end.

Celtic won a corner on the right side and Shunsuke Nakamura produced good delivery. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink won the header and beat Neil Alexander but, incredibly, Davis was behind the Rangers goalkeeper and scooped the ball off the line with his left boot.

Celtic had come close to being breached in 20 minutes when everyone missed Stevie Whittaker’s whipped cross from the left side and it smacked off the left hand post and was cleared by Darren O’Dea.

Seven minutes earlier Miller tried a spectacular overhead kick from a Dailly cross but it didn’t trouble Artur Boruc.

Celtic were looking for a penalty in 31 minutes for a Whittaker challenge on McDonald but it looked as though the Celtic striker was looking for the award and Craig Thomson was well placed to judge.

Predictably, Celtic came out hungry in the second half and put Rangers under pressure. Indeed the Light Blues were hemmed for at least 10 minutes but managed to remain intact.

In saying that Alexander had to make a smart save from Vennegoor of Hesselink’s header in 58 minutes when Hinkel crossed from the right.

They needed something to ease the situation and Walter Smith must have thought he had it a minute later.

The ever-industrious Miller was the creator when he won the ball in midfield, skipped away from two challenges and slid a great ball through to Boyd.

The Rangers striker muscled his way past O’Dea and suddenly he was in on goal with only Boruc to beat. The angle was slightly tight and he hit his left foot shot well but it smacked off Boruc’s chest and the chance was gone.

There was a striking resemblance to a chance in this fixture last December. Fortunately, it did not have a major influence other than make the rest of the second half a nervous 30 minutes.

Celtic continued to press but Rangers stood firm and then Boyd had another chance to settle it with a header from a Pedro Mendes corner in 84 minutes but missed the target.

However, the victory was secured and the Rangers supporters now firmly believe the title is coming back to Ibrox.

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to