The Ibrox men were looking for pride in the last Old Firm encounter of the season but ended up humiliated and exposed as a team who need to regroup quickly as Celtic lapped up their first win at Ibrox for seven years.

The 3-0 scoreline may have flattered the Parkhead men a little, but it was all too easy in the end as Rangers, who started well, looked a clueless and punchless lot by the end of it all.

To rub salt into very deep wounds, Lorenzo Amoruso had to carried off by stretcher 19 minutes from the end following a challenge on Neil Lennon. It was simply a nigtmare for the Ibrox side and there was no hiding place as the Celtic fans celebrated their win.

It had all started well for Rangers but they failed to make their early pressure count and they most certainly paid for it. The season from hell just keeps getting worse, it seems.

Rod Wallace came close after just three minutes when Paul Lambert lost possession but Ramon Vega managed to get his body in the way of the Englishman’s shot which was deflected for a corner.

Unfortunately for Barry Ferguson he put too much vigour into a seventh minute challenge on Alan Thompson and claimed the first booking of the match which meant he had to be careful for the rest of the contest.

It certainly did not affect his commitment and drive as the captain tried to help Rangers to the win the fans badly craved.

A Jorg Albertz corner had Celtic in trouble in 11 minutes when Wallace flicked it on at the near post, but Tommy Johnson was on the line to clear as Billy Dodds waited to pounce.

Then in 14 minutes The Hammer pulled a right foot shot just wide as Rangers continued to go at Celtic looking for the opening that would put them in the driving seat.

They needed some inspiration for that and it almost came from the skipper with a fantastic piece of play in 21 minutes which deserved a goal.

Ferguson won the ball from Lambert deep in his own half and then burst forward at the gallop to split the Celtic defence wide open. It looked as though he would try to play Dodds in but instead he tried a delightful chip from 25 yards which was heading for the top left corner until Douglas tipped it over the bar.

Inexplicably, referee Stuart Dougal awarded a goalkick when the whole stadium could see it was a corner. It was a wonderful piece of play from Ferguson and another No6 looking down from above would have approved.

Two minutes later, Celtic were really let off the hook following an excellent Rangers move. Albertz instigated it with a super pass for Arthur Numan who had overlapped on the left side.

Numan’s cross was excellent and Wallace should have scored but he headed wide from 10 yards and Advocaat should have known then and there it was going to be bad day.

Gradually the punch seemed to go out of Rangers’ play which suited Celtic down to the ground. The had weathered the early storm and became more composed as the game progressed.

It was, however, a shocking goal which the Ibrox side lost in 61 minutes which gave Celtic the lead. Neil Lennon’s freekick seemed innocuous enough as he played it into Henrik Larsson’s feet but no-one tracked Lubo Moravcik’s run into the box.

Larsson laid the ball into the Slovakian’s path and he ran through unimpeded to slot a left foot shot past Klos.

Lorenzo Amoruso had to be stretchered off in 71 minutes after a late challenge by Lennon, who had been booked earlier but escaped on this occasion, which left the Italian with an injured shin.

And the day got blacker two minutes later when Moravcik claimed his second goal of the game when Rangers were caught napping again. A long clearance by Douglas was flicked on by substitute Sean Maloney and suddenly Moravcik was in the clear on the left side.

Ricksen tried to get back, but Moravcik skipped inside him and then clipped a right foot shot past Klos who was helpless.

Suddenly the situation had turned very bleak indead, but the pain was not over for Rangers as they conceded a third goal four minutes from time.

Tugay lost possession on the touchline and Celtic took full advantage. Jackie McNamara played in Larsson, who skipped past Klos and from a tight angle fired as left foot shot into the right corner.

It sealed an unbelievably bad day for Rangers and Advocaat now has his work cut out to turn things around for the start of next season.

RANGERS: Klos; Moore, Konterman (Tugay 64), Amoruso (Wilson 72); Ricksen, Ferguson, Albertz, Numan; Wallace; Flo, Dodds (Fernandes 72). Subs not used – Christiansen, Leven.

Bookings: Ferguson (7) Moore (49) Ricksen (81)

CELTIC: Douglas; Mjallby, Vega, Valgaeren; Agathe, Lennon, Lambert, Thompson; Moravcik (McNamara 85); Larsson, Johnson (Maloney 67). Subs not used – Gould, Boyd, Healy.

Bookings: Lennon (57)

Ref: Stuart Dougal.

Att: 50,057.

Man of the match: Barry Ferguson

Moment of the match: There just wasn’t one.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to