The first match was held at Turf Moor on September 5 1922, with the proceeds going towards a “football cot” within the Victoria Hospital in Burnley and £600 was raised from the match.

The Light Blues fielded a side comprising of five reserves and missing big names such as Davie Meiklejohn, Tommy Cairns and Alan Morton and lost by three goals against a Burnley side that had finished the previous season unbeaten in the League across 30 matches.

A report from the match reads as follows: “Rangers who had five reserves displayed delightful football, especially in the first half but it was not effective against the strong Burnley defence who kept out all their efforts.

“Burnley, while less polished and having less of the play were more effective and scored through Kelly after fifteen minutes and Anderson scored twice in the last quarter of an hour when Rangers apparently lost interest.”

The return leg was held at Ibrox a week later in front of 6,000 fans and was a benefit match for outside right Sandy Archibald. The attendance was lower than expected owing to “inclement weather”.

A report of the match said: “Though not so strenuous as a league game the exchanges were fast and and of an interesting character. Rangers were the cleverer side and thoroughly deserved their win which would have been more pronounced nut for the sound defence of Dawson, Smelt and Taylor.

“During the first ten minutes Rangers were the more aggressive lot, and at the end of the period they opened the scoring through Smith. Archibald, just previously, having struck the underside of the crossbar and Cairns having headed into Dawson’s hands.

“After Rangers success Burnley took up the running and forcing matters secured three fruitless corner kicks, which a great shot from Anderson was smartly cleared by Robb. Near the interval Morton forced a corner for Rangers and from the kick Smith shot into Dawson’s hands.”

The report continued, “In the second half which was curtained by ten minutes owing to darkness, Rangers had again the better of the exchanges. Midway through Burnley were awarded a penalty kick, but Taylor failed to convert, Robb brining off a good save.

“Immediately afterwards, Smith from a long pass by McCandless was round the Burnley backs and after neatly tricking Dawson placed the ball into a tenantless goal. No further scoring taking place, a good game ended Rangers 2; Burnley, 0”

Archibald played for the club between 1917 – 1934 and played 580 times, scoring 148 goals. He won a British record of 13 titles, only recently matched by Ryan Giggs at Manchester United.

The powerful and athletic miner from Aberdour was also successful in the Scottish Cup, winning the competition three times, most famously in the much celebrated 1928 Final.

Archibald scored twice – both shots from distance – to help inflict a 4-0 defeat on Celtic and end an agonising 25-year drought in the competition.

Team Line Ups:

At Ibrox: William Robb, John Jamieson, Billy McCandless, Davie Meiklejohn, John Johnstone, Sandy Archibald, Alexander Laird, John Smith, Tommy Cairns, Alan Morton.

At Turf Moor: Booth, Thomas Reid, Billy McCandless, Alexander Johnstone, John Nicholson, Walker, Sandy Archibald, Alerxander Laird, George henderson, Andy Cunningham, Hector Lawson.


Article Copyright © 2018. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to