AS well as Rangers’ game with Ross County, there were five other Scottish Premiership matches played over the weekend. Here’s how they went…


Partick Thistle 3 Aberdeen 4

A dramatic Premiership clash saw Adam Rooney score Aberdeen’s fourth and winning goal at Partick Thistle’s Firhill. Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan had the Jags 2-1 up on 13 minutes following Ryan Christie’s early opener. Kenny McLean then equalised for the visitors from the penalty spot before the Dons’ Scott Wright and Thistle’s Niall Keown also found the net, leaving Rooney to secure all three points for his side with an 84th minute glancing header.

Motherwell 2 Hearts 1

Louis Moult scored a terrific winner as Motherwell battled back from a goal down to beat Hearts at Fir Park. Kyle Lafferty’s low shot from distance gave the Jambos the lead on the half-hour mark but Ryan Bowman equalised with a header from close range on 37 minutes. Before the break Moult hit what proved to be the winner when he lobbed the ball into the top corner.

Kilmarnock 2 Hamilton Accies 2

Hamilton Academical came from being two goals down to take a point from this visit to Kilmarnock’s Rugby Park. An own goal from Louis Longridge gave Killie the lead and Lee Erwin’s clever lobbed finish made it 2-0 before the hour mark. Accies responded though, with Giannis Skondras pulling one back with a great finish before Ali Crawford scored from the penalty spot following Steven Smith’s clumsy foul on Greg Docherty.

Celtic 1 St Johnstone 1

Substitute Callum McGregor’s 79th minute equaliser rescued a point for Celtic as they faced a hard-working and organised St Johnstone side at Parkhead. Steven MacLean opened the scoring six minutes before half-time after an error from Craig Gordon but Tommy Wright’s side couldn’t hold on to their slender advantage, with McGregor making the most of hesitant defending and firing a low shot into the corner of the net.


Dundee 1 Hibernian 1

Yesterday’s early kick-off match saw Dundee – Rangers’ next opponents at Ibrox on September 9 – secure their first Premiership point of the season against Hibs. Former Ger Steven Whittaker was in the thick of the action, with the defender’s late tackle on Roarie Deacon resulting in a penalty which Kevin Holt dispatched after just nine minutes. Whittaker made up for his mistake before half-time when he provided a dangerous low cross from the left and Anthony Stokes turned it in, although it took a deflection off Kerr Waddell to beat in-form goalkeeper Scott Bain.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to