RANGERS take on Charleston Battery tonight and we’ve pulled together some information about the side before the teams kick off.
Full Name: Charleston Battery
Stadium: MUSC Health Stadium
Manager: Mike Anhaeuser
2015 Final: 3rd in League, Eastern Conference Semi Finals
- Battery were formed in 1993 by a group of local football fans, led by Londoner Tony Bakker who had relocated his software company to the local area.
- The club won their first league championship in 1996 under Portuguese manager Nuno Piteira, defeating Charlotte Eagles 3-2 in the final.
- In 1999, Battery moved into what is now known as MUSC Health Stadium, becoming the first non-Major League Soccer professional club in the United States to build its own stadium.
- Former Queens Park Rangers manager Chris Ramsay managed the club between 2001 and 2004 and led the side to the A-league championship in 2003, with a 3-0 win over Minnesota Thunder.
- Battery have had affiliate partnerships with several MLS clubs, including Vancouver Whitecaps and Houston Dynamo. They are currently affiliated with Atlanta United for the 2016 season prior to their entry who have Carlos Bocanegra on their staff.
Captain – Shawn Ferguson
Shawn Ferguson was born in Rock Hill, South Carolina and started his career with Discoveries Soccer Club and Northwestern High School. He would play with Ricky Garbanzo, teammate at Battery with both of those clubs.
Ferguson attended the College of Charleston and played as a centre half and when he was finishing his degree, he signed with Battery.
He became a starter in 2014 and played 27 of 28 games in 2015 before being named as captain before 2016.
Manager – Michael Anhauser
Mike Anhauser spent his entire professional playing career with Charleston Battery playing between 1994 and 1998, making 115 appearances and scoring two goals.
He was named as assistant manager in 1999, in a role which he kept until 2004 before being named as manager in 2005 following the departure of Chris Ramsay.
As a player, he won the USISL Professional League in 1996 and as a manager he won the USL Second Division in 2010 and USL Pro in 2012.
Last Five Results
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds W 2-1 (Woodbine, Mueller)
- Orlando City B L 1-2 (Portillo)
- Harrisburg City Islanders W 1-0 (Portillo)
- Toronto FC II W 1-0 (Wiiliams)
- Richmond Kickers W 2-0 (Mueller, Cordoves)
“As a club we are looking forward to playing them. We were excited to get the contract completed and to know that they were going to come over for ten days and play.
“Once we told the players and everyone, they were excited to be able to play a team of this calibre so it’s great.
“It’s been great to have the team around, as a coach you are always learning every single day – just watching and trying to pick up little things that they do that you can add into your training and your sessions.”
“It will be a good test for Rangers, especially the way the weather is in Charleston right now.
“They are a historic club which you hear about growing up. All the games on the team are definitely aware of their reputation around the world and what that means.
“We are all trying to get to MLS level or even overseas and we have a lot of guys who are hungry to make an impact so they can make a jump in their career.
“I played last summer against Wet Brom and that was a great game because it allowed us to compare ourselves and see how a different organisation works.
“It’s been awesome to watch Rangers and see how the practice and train and see the attitude that they will bring to the game which is maybe a little different from here in America.
How To Watch Live
Rangers will play the single pre-season friendly of their American tour tonight when they face hosts Charleston Battery at the MUSC Health Stadium.
RangersTV have been with the squad throughout the week and will be again tonight to bring you all of the action exclusively live wherever you are in the world.
The fixture will be available to all RangersTV subscribers, meaning you can watch simply by signing up from as little as £5 per month.
With that subscription you’ll also get access to all of the fantastic content from South Carolina with over 20 exclusives delivered already from the US.
A RangersTV subscription also gets you access to a massive archive of match footage and interviews from the 1960s to the present day, as well as every single competitive match from the coming season, in full, on-demand.
So, why not sign up, give it a try and enjoy exclusive access to tonight’s friendly with Charleston Battery? Kick off is at 7pm local time, which is midnight in the UK.
Find out more about the various subscription packages, and sign up, here.
RANGERSTV IN AMERICA
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Exclusives
- Interview: Andy Halliday
- Interview: James Tavernier
- Interview: Martyn Waghorn
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 7
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 6
- Feature: Goalkeeper Special
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 5
- Interview: Ross McCrorie
- Interview: Jordan Thompson
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 4
- Press Conference: Mark Warburton
- Interview: Mike Anhaeuser
- Exclusive: Mark Warburton
- Interview: Michael OHalloran
- Interview: Craig Flannigan
- Interview: Harry Forrester
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 3
- Interview: Matt Crooks
- Interview: Josh Windass
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 2
- Training: Pre-Season Tour Day 1