WE remember some of the magical moments from this day in Rangers history.

In 1960, the Gers travelled to Hungary to face Ferencvaros in the European Cup Winners Cup qualifying leg.

Davie Wilson scored the Gers goal on the day which gave the Gers a 5-4 victory after goals from Harold Davis, Ralph Brand and a double from Jimmy Millar had the Light Blues 4-2 in front from a win at Ibrox.

Wilson took advantage of a moment of hesitation between keeper Horvath and Kiss about who was going to clear the ball and dashed between them both to steal the ball and pass into the net.

The Hungarian team began the game two goals down after the Gers win in Ibrox and they started the match in Budapest very quickly. They opened the scoring in the 25th minutes through Oresz, then doubled their lead to tie the match through Friedmansky in the 51st minute.

If the match had remained locked at 4-4 then there would have been the toss of a coin to decide which side went through!

Speaking after the match Kerrijames, a leading football writer from Hungary said: “I watched both games, in each the superior stamina and strength of your team was the deciding factor. It is no disgrace to be beaten by such a side.”

In 1999, Rod Wallace was the difference between the two sides as Dick Advocaat‘s Gers defeated Dunfermline 1:0 at Ibrox in front of 30,024 fans in the Scottish League Cup 3rd Round.

Rangers have also won the Glasgow Cup three times on this day, twice by defeating rivals Celtic and once in a final replay against Clyde.

In 1912, William Wilton‘s Light Blues were winners against Celtic by three goals to one thanks to goalscorers Billy Hogg, Alex Bennett and Alex Smith in front of 80,000 fans at Hampden.

The Gers were a goal down at half time through a goal from Celtic forward Quinn, however the Light Blues had been the better side.

In the opening stages of the second half, disaster struck for the Gers as Robertson was injured following a collision, meaning the Light Blues had to play with a “one back game”.

Not to be deterred, the Rangers rallied and following a cross from Smith, Hogg crashed the ball into the back of the net. Smith then turned scorer, gathering a loose ball from a cross and scoring, before Bennett rounded off the scoring with a fantastic individual effort.

Twenty three years later in 1935, Bill Struth took his Gers to Hampden to face Celtic and won 2-0 thanks to goals from James Fiddes and Torry Gillick.

After a stuffy first half, Rangers took control and dominated proceedings in the second period in a game that could have had a very different scoreline but for the robust Celtic defence.

Fiddes had a shot rebound off the inside of the post and the referee, in a good position to view the incident, awarded a goal to open the scoring. The trophy was secured by a second goal scored by Gillick directly from a corner kick!

In 1949, with Struth still at the helm of the Gers, a double from Gillick was enough to give the Gers the 2-1 win after a 2-2 draw in the original tie a week before, where a penalty by Willie Waddell and Eddie Rutherford had given the Gers a draw.

It may haven taken extra time to separate the sides, but the Gers won the trophy for the thirty first time with the win at Hampden.

Gillick, who was a veteran at 34 for the final in 1949 was the star of the show for the Gers, bursting into life several times throughout the match.

It was his goal, with seven minutes remaining of extra time that won the match for the Gers. He latched onto a fantastic through ball from Waddell to give the Gers the silverware.

Article Copyright © 2018. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk