WE look at some of the memorable moments that have happened on this day in the remarkable history of Rangers Football Club.

1879 – Rangers won the first ever piece of silverware in its glorious history just seven years after the club was founded in 1872, beating Vale of Leven 2:1 in front of 11,000 supporters at Hampden in the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup Final.

According to a match report of the game Vale of Leven took the lead early on against the run of play, but the match was levelled by Hugh McIntyre who ‘punted’ the ball through the posts after ‘hands’ had been declared against Vale of Leven, much to the “satisfaction of the leather-lunged members of the crowd.”

The match was very tight, going from end to end throughout the rest of the first half and into the second half until Rangers scored in the second half after a scrimmage in the Vale of Leven box.

Rangers’ team that day was: George Gillespie, Thomas Vallance, Alexander Vallance, James Drinnan, Hugh McIntyre, Charles McQuarrie, David Hill, Alex Steel, William Struthers, Peter Campbell, Moses McNeil.

Read a match report from the Glasgow Herald on the website here. Here’s a short excerpt summarising the game:

“Both clubs wrought hard, pushed vigorously and at times stood defiantly face to face ready to repulse and little antic on the part of a bellicose brother. A good game it was altogether, somewhat rough at times and towards the finish going a little beyond what could be described as friendly rivalry.”

2001 Rangers took on Hibernian at Ibrox, winning 4:0 thanks to a double from Ronald De Boer, a penalty from Jorg Albertz and a ninetieth minute strike from Australian Tony Vidmar.

It was an emotional day for goalscorer Jorg Albertz who was playing in his last ever Rangers game before heading back to Germany to join Hamburg. Speaking after the game he said: “Every player who leaves Rangers will have some regrets, but I have to look forward now.”

The Hammer continued: “I don’t know now if it is the right decision to leave. I will only know that in a couple of months or maybe a couple of years. I know it is not the right decision with the supporters. The relationship I had with them was tremendous and they know that I will treasure the club for the rest of my life.”

Watch highlights from the match on RangersTV here – LINK and read the Hall of Fame profile of Jorg Albertz on the club website here – LINK

1963 – Rangers took on old friends Arsenal at Highbury in a benefit match in front of 33,007 fans for Welsh International goalkeeper Jack Kelsey who had been forced to retire early with back problems.

Rangers took the lead after only 45 seconds through Jim Baxter – who had been linked with a move to the London club before the match – after Ian McMillan had set him up with an excellent through ball for Baxter to lob over the keeper.

The other Rangers goal was scored by Ralph Brand, but it was Jimmy Millar and Billy Ritchie who were the key men for Rangers on the day as the match finished 2:2, with Skirlton bagging two goals for the Gunners.

Several of the Rangers players struggled throughout the match with illness and Willie Henderson missed the game after being taken to hospital following stomach cramps. Interestingly, Arsenal gave Rangers captain John Greig a present of a transistor radio!

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk