Today we remember an extra time win over Celtic from ’78, a win over Aberdeen and the signing of a striker whose Ibrox career was ravaged by injury problems.

In 1978, Rangers were in League Cup action against Celtic at Hampden in front of over 49,000 fans, winning a dramatic match after extra time. Rangers were behind twice in the game and came from behind to win thanks to an own goal by Celtic substitute Jim Casey six minutes from the end of extra time.

Celtic opened the scoring after Tommy Burns had capitalised on a poor Alex Macdonald pass to release Johnny Doyle to score the opener. Rangers were back level thanks to a Sandy Jardine penalty after Davie Cooper had bee fouled in the box.

With the game locked at one each, both sides had a man sent off with Tommy Burns sent off for dissent and Alex Miller sent off for a challenge on Celtic scorer Doyle. Celtic took the lead again in the second half through McAdam, after Peter McCloy could only parry a Roy Aitken shot.

Rangers rallied and equalised with ten minutes to go, scoring through a deflected Colin Jackson strike to take the tie to extra time. The Rangers winner was fortuitous after Celtic keeper Baines saved a Johnstone shot, only for the ball to rebound off substitute Casey and into the Celtic net for a 3:2 win for the Light Blues.

A late Jorg Albertz goal eased the pressure on a nervy Rangers on this day in 2000 and sealed the three points at Ibrox.

Dick Advocaat‘s side had to come from behind after Arild Stavrum gave Aberdeen the lead early on and goals from Michael Mols and substitutes Billy Dodds and Albertz gave them a precious 3-1 victory.

But in the 25th minute the goal finally came for Rangers. Ronald de Boer floated in a corner from the left, Esson failed to deal with it and Mols scored one of the easiest goals of his career, stabbing the ball home from close range.

Advocaat obviously wasn’t happy with his side’s first half performance and he changed things around at the break, bringing on Albertz and Dodds at the expense of De Boer and Miller.

And the move paid off just 13 minutes after the re-start when Dodds scored against one of his former clubs to give Gers the lead. Fernando Ricksen threw the ball long into the box, Barry Ferguson knocked it on and Dodds fired home.

Mols hit the post late on before Albertz popped up with two minutes to go and rifled an unstoppable drive beyond the helpless Esson. Read a full match report of the game here and check out a match gallery here.

In 1996 on this day, Rangers moved in the transfer market to sign the club’s first ever Chilean player, Sebastián Rozental. The striker, then 20 years old, was brought to the club by manager Walter Smith after impressing for the Chilean national side in the same team as Ivan Zamorano and Marcelo Salas.

Rozental’s time at Rangers was to be dogged by an injury that he picked up after scoring on his debut against St Johnstone. The striker would only play 17 times for the club, scoring 3 times.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to