PEDRO CAIXINHA wants at least “two or three” players to represent Rangers at next summer’s World Cup finals in Russia.
The Light Blues’ gaffer has been delighted with the performances of new defender Bruno Alves at the ongoing Confederations Cup in the former Soviet nation, with Alves and Caixina’s Portugal progressing through to the semi-final stage where they take-on Chile tomorrow night in Kazan.
Speaking exclusively to RangersTV.tv, Caixinha explained: “Rangers, and as big a club as this this, we need to have players in the Scottish National Team for example, we need players in other, different national teams, and we need the players playing in huge competitions with their national teams.
“I am very glad Bruno is doing it, and that Portugal is in the semi-finals, and I will be even happier if he returns with another trophy for himself, for Portugal and also for Rangers as he is a Rangers player.
“This is going to be an important season also as it precedes the World Cup, and I would like to have at least two or three players playing in the World Cup. It is also an individual goal our players need to have in their minds in order to pursue it and try to be there.
“It is a unique moment for the players, and they need to keep thinking about it and fight for it.”
Caixinha also spoke of his trust he wants to build in his squad.
He added: “It is important when you build a squad like we have that you have at least two different players for a position. On Monday, we presented the last meeting with the team, and that is about ‘goals definition.’
“In that, you have the total amount of matches you can possibly play in the season. We are going to be involved in four competitions, and we need to count on all of the players. All of those players need to know what we need from them in their position, and of course, what we need overall from the team.
“They will know it. Those who are arriving now already know me, and Bruno will arrive late, but he is such an experienced player and he knows also what we want, so it is easy for him to adapt.
“Above all though, we want that inside competition to be stronger when we need to compete with a real opponent.”
THIS WEEK ON RANGERSTV:
- Interview: Stewart Robertson – Summer Transfers
- Interview: Niko Kranjcar
- Interview: Stewart Robertson – Season Tickets
THIS MONTH ON RANGERSTV:
- Interview: Bruno Alves Signs
- Interview: Ryan Jack Signs
- Interview: Dalcio Signs
- Interview: Fabio Cardoso Signs
- Interview: Liam Kelly
- Interview: Daniel Candeias Signs
- Interview: Jonatan Johansson On Morelos
- Full Match: Rangers v Coleraine
- Interview: Alfredo Morelos Signs
- Interview: Eduardo Herrera Signs
- Full Match: Rangers v TNS
- Full Match: Rangers v St Johnstone
- Interview: Carlos Peña Signs
- Interview Myles Beerman
- Pedro Caixinha – On Dalcio
- Pedro Caixinha – On Morelos
- Pedro Caixinha – On Herrera
- Pedro Caixinha – 22nd June
- Pedro Caixinha – 23rd June
- Pedro Caixinha – 26th June
- The Big Interview – Michael Mols Part One
- The Big Interview – Michael Mols Part Two
SUBSCRIBE TO RANGERSTV
With packages available from just £5 per month you can get closer to your club than ever with exclusive features, our extensive archive, behind the scenes access and all the best match action.