ALLY McCOIST was left frustrated by poor defending from his team as it trailed twice then was pegged back to a draw against Stenhousemuir.

Rangers conceded three goals in a home league fixture for the first time since April 2011 – and therefore for the first time since McCoist became manager – as the teams tied 3-3.

The manner of each goal upset the Light Blues boss, particularly the third which came from the penalty foul after an apparent foul in the box by Emilson Cribari.

He was irritated by the first two as well though as they came from lapses in concentration which he felt could have been prevented.

Gers have now lost 11 goals in 13 home League One matches this season, a statistic the manager is not happy with.

In contrast, his men have kept 14 clean sheets in their last 15 away games in all competitions dating back more than six months to August.

McCoist said: “We’re very frustrated and our overriding feeling is one of disappointment. When you score three goals at home, you don’t expect not to win.

“Losing three goals at home – albeit one of them being questionable – wasn’t good at all and we made silly mistakes.

“We didn’t defend the first one at all well. I think we should have cut the ball out at source before the cross came in.

“David Templeton and Lee Wallace should have cut that out but then Sebastien (Faure) missed the cross and the lad knocked it in.

“With the second, Waldo had gone by Temps and then the ball got moved wide for a simple cross and a header.

“From their point of view – and they’re obviously looking at it differently – it was a great goal. From ours, it was a shocker defensively.”

McCoist – who confirmed Faure isn’t seriously hurt after an x-ray revealed no bone or ligament damage from a first-half tackle – was most irked by Stenny’s final goal.

Referee Greg Aitken gave a penalty against Emilson Cribari after he was ruled to have pulled David Rowson’s shirt.

There’s no doubting the players came together as a corner came in from the right, although it’s unclear whether anything illegal took place.

McCoist was adamant the spot kick should never have been awarded but insists Templeton should have had a first-half penalty.

He fell under Sean Lynch’s cumbersome challenge and it looked like a clear foul but Aitken gave the decision the other way and booked the winger for simulation.

McCoist was outraged by both spot kick calls and added: “I wasn’t really having the third one at all.

“The reaction from all the players, both benches and indeed the stadium would indicate the majority of people thought it wasn’t a penalty.

“In the first half, we had a double whammy. You can maybe allow the referee a mistake in not giving the penalty but his view of the situation was first class.

“For Templeton to get booked for it though? I asked the referee at half-time if he thought it was a penalty and he said no.

“I asked if he booked Templeton for diving and he said it was for simulation. If he’s getting it wrong once fair enough but for Temps to get punished is very, very harsh.

“David isn’t a diver. I’ll hopefully be speaking to John Fleming, the head of the referees, and we can try to get as many people to witness that as possible.

“I think it was a penalty and if the referee makes a mistake, he makes a mistake. He was maybe the only person this side of Glasgow who thought it wasn’t a penalty.”

{module Article Footer Generic}

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to