RANGERS take on Aberdeen for the final time this season and we’ve pulled together some interesting facts about the historic fixture.
- Rangers and Aberdeen have contested 133 league matches at Ibrox, dating back to the first, a 1-0 Rangers win in August 1905. In total, Rangers have won 81 of these fixtures with the Dons emerging victorious on 23 occasions and 29 matches being drawn. Rangers have scored 257 goals to Aberdeen’s 124.
- Kenny Miller’s three goals against Aberdeen this season have taken his overall tally to nine in league matches against the Dons and this leaves him only two behind the all-time leading scorers in this fixture – Jimmy Smith and Ally McCoist – who are both on 11.
- Rangers’ 3-0 victory at Pittodrie in April was their biggest victory in the Granite City since winning by the same scoreline in July 2001 when goals from Christian Nerlinger, Russell Latapy and Claudio Caniggia gave Gers the points. Kenny Miller was involved in both matches, coming off the bench for Michael Mols in the 2001 match.
- All nine goals scored in matches between Rangers and Aberdeen this season have come in the second half. Four of Rangers’ six goals have come in the last 11 minutes with the two exceptions being the goals scored at Ibrox in the 2-1 victory in December which came in the 52nd and 70th minutes. Two of the Dons’ three goals have been scored in the 90th minute.
- Remarkably, despite post-split fixtures being around for the past 16 seasons, Rangers and Aberdeen have only previously met on six occasions after the split, with Rangers winning three of these encounters, including the most recent in 2009. Aberdeen have won twice with the other match, at Ibrox in 2006, ending in a 1-1 draw.
TONIGHT’S 100-page official matchday programme is available to buy at Ibrox or online with our new digital version – available wherever you are in the world.
And as usual it’s packed with interviews and features with your favourite Ibrox stars, including Pedro Caixinha and Lee Wallace.
For the final home game of 2016/17, the manager and captain reflect on the current campaign and also discuss the club’s summer schedule, with Wallace looking to get back to full fitness after a spell out of action following stomach surgery.
Also in tonight’s Rangers v Aberdeen programme:
– The Last Word with managing director Stewart Robertson
– An exclusive interview with former Rangers and Dons full-back Stephen Wright
– Brian Laudrup picks his best XI from players he played with and against in ‘My Top Team’
– ‘On The Spot’ with Myles Beerman
– Nine in a Row – 20 years on with Charlie Miller
PLUS there is a tricky quiz to test your football knowledge, On This Day, club historian David Mason, Andy Cameron, Action Replay, Snapshot and Junior Gers.
All this and so much more will be in tonight’s 100-page matchday programme, price just £3.50. Don’t miss it!
We are continuing to test a new digital version of the matchday programme which is available to purchase now online on your chosen mobile platform from the following links:
Subscriptions aren’t currently available for the digital programme as our testing continues with a view towards season 2017/18.