WE look at some of the memorable moments that have happened on this day in the remarkable history of Rangers Football Club

It was a day of mixed emotions for Rangers in 1964, who travelled to Vienna and beat Rapid 2-0 thanks to goals from Jim Forrest and Davie Wilson to secure a place in the quarter final of the European Cup. However  it was at a cost, as Jim Baxter broke his leg in the match, which would see him miss three months of action.

Baxter had been superb in the match, described by the Scottish and Austrian media as the “architect” of the win after the game. The midfielder was outstanding and many said he won the match for the Gers single-handed. Nearly 70,000 fans packed the Praterstadion for the match and the two goal scoreline belied the true domination of the Light Blues.

It’s also worthy of note that the Light Blues played the last 40 minutes of the match essentially with ten men, as Eric Caldow was injured and stayed on, hobbling around in the outside left position.


The Gers were up against a formidable side, committed to playing the offside trap. With the Light Blues attacking at will, they were caught offside a total of 30 times in the game. The first goal was scored by Forrest as he beat the offside trap and powered towards the goal and contemptuously flicked the ball over the keeper Veres.

With Caldow injured, Willie Johnston burst into the game after drifting over the the left where he beat and outwitted three Rapid defenders before cutting the ball to the right for Wilson who hit the ball into the back of the net.

Journalist Gair Henderson said after the match: “This was unquestionably the greatest game ever played by a Rangers team in any European tournament. It is no overstatement to say that they out-thought and outplayed a Rapid team holding every advantage.”

After tormenting the Austrian side for the full match, the last action of the game was a tackle on Baxter by Skocik, the Gers player hopping on his good leg before lying down on a bank of snow beside the pitch as the referee blew for full time.

In 1970, Willie Henderson put in a dazzling display in Lisbon as he turned out for a European Select side in a benefit match for Mario Coluna. The Gers winger came off the bench in the 36 minute of the match with Benfica leading 2-0 in the match.

Henderson changed the game immediately for the Select side, skippered by West Ham’s Bobby Moore. The Gers player hammering a low shot that the Benfica keeper could only parry into the path of German Uwe Seeler who fired home from the rebound.

The Scotsman then set up the second for the Select side with an inch perfect cross for Spanish striker Uarate to equalise. He delighted the fans with his performance and was unlucky to be on the losing side after Arthur Jorge scored the winner at the end of the game, to add to first half strikes by Simeos and Eusebio.

Related RangersTV Videos:

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk