RANGERS today remembered those who died in the 1971 Ibrox Disaster with a short wreath-laying ceremony outside the stadium.

Club representatives took part in the ceremony at the Ibrox Disaster memorial plinth on Edmiston Drive prior to travelling to Dumbarton for the match.

Honorary president John Greig placed a wreath at the foot of the statue on behalf of the club before a minute’s silence was observed.

Rev Stuart McQuarrie carried out a short service prior to the minute’s silence and the Directors and Manager were also in attendance at the statue of John Greig.

Today is 45 years since 66 Gers supporters tragically died when there was a crush on Stairway 13 at Ibrox Stadium after a derby match against Celtic.

The incident happened in the moments after the game had finished 1-1, following two goals in the final two minutes from the visitors’ Jimmy Johnstone then home player Colin Stein.

As a crowd of 80,000 fans filtered out on to the surrounding streets, many fell coming down stairs on a passageway at the Copland Road end of the ground.

Steel barriers crumpled under the weight of so many people and the consequences were horrifying.

It was the biggest single loss of life at a Scottish football match and it remains the darkest incident in the Light Blues 143-year history.

The Ibrox Disaster affected many families in Glasgow and beyond at the time and continues to impact on them to this day.

Gers supporters have worked tirelessly to ensure those who passed on are never forgotten through various tributes and memorials.

With Rangers’ next home match not until January 10 against Cowdenbeath, there will also be a minute’s silence ahead of the fixture at Dumbarton this afternoon.

The club asked Dumbarton if it would be possible to do that given how long it will be until Gers play at Ibrox again and they very kindly agreed to the request.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk