RANGERS Graves Project are happy to announce that former Chairman William Craig’s grave is the latest to have been restored.
Over the last couple of years the Rangers Graves Restoration Project has carried out work on the final resting places of not only those who formed our Club but many others from our early years.
These men from our early years gave us so much that we still enjoy today and it’s now time to give them some respect back in return. The Founders Project isn’t only about an education process it’s about putting everything in place for this and future generations to enjoy.
We’re delighted to announce that the restoration of William Craig’s final resting place at Cathcart Cemetery has now been complete. Mr Craig was Chairman of Rangers in 1923.
Craig’s sudden death on 20 November, 1923 gives him the sad distinction of enjoying the shortest period in office of any Rangers chairman. This, though, understates the contribution he made to the Club over many years. He had served on the Board since 1903 – 1904.
The “Glasgow Herald” obituary stated William Craig had been “engaged as a Clan Line stevedore”. His life suggests he must have had a second string to his bow, possibly in business. His long years of service on the Rangers Board and his position as a Justice of the Peace would appear to support this.
William Craig lies in the “Rangers Triangle” of graves at Cathcart Cemetery.
By extraordinary coincidence, the grave next to that of Mr Craig is R S McColl’s. Almost directly opposite, a matter of yards away, is the final resting place of our first manager Mr William Wilton.
Funds are in place to let the work continue, but if you want to read more about the projects, be part of it or just donate to the programme – CLICK HERE Every Rangers supporter can now contribute to The Restoration of Rangers Graves Project.