THE Rangers Graves Project are today delighted to announce that the re-erecting of James Watson’s stone at Cathcart Cemetery.
The cleaning and re-lettering of the stone will be completed over the coming weeks with Watson being a key figure in the early development of the club.
Firstly a player officially between 1874 and 1879, although it is likely he was involved before then, he was also on a number of club committees and served firstly as Vice President between 1889 and 1890 and then President from 1890 to 1891.
He was a member of the legendary 1877 team that got so close to winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in the club;s history – indeed just five years after their formation.
Once his playing days were over, he went on to become a teacher at both Calder Street School and Hillhead High School in Glasgow.
He ended his days in East Kilbride in the Maxwellton area in a house called Kia Ora and passed away on 25th May 1915.