RANGERS Under-19’s were knocked out of the Scottish Youth Cup in today’s semi-final against Aberdeen.

It was a repeat of last season’s semi-final, and with both teams currently unbeaten in the league it was set-up for an interesting cup tie.

Aberdeen were two ahead inside the first-half hour before Ross McCausland got a goal back for the Gers just before half-time.

Aberdeen had the first chance of the game inside the first five minutes as Michael Dangana turned a shot over the bar, before Leon King’s long-range effort was also just over the target for the Gers shortly after.

Dangana again was proving dangerous early on for Aberdeen as he cut in from the left to drill a powerful shot towards goal but it was held well by Lewis Budinauckas.

It was the home side who took the lead on the 20th minute as Michael Ruth laid the ball off to Calvin Ramsay who fired a shot towards goal from the edge of the area. The shot was pushed away by Budinauckas, but Ruth was there to follow up and slot home for the Dons.

Aberdeen doubled their lead as a short corner was swung into the box by Connor Barron with Ruth tapping in at the far post for his second of the game.

Rangers had a goal back on the 39th minute, as Adam Devine did well down the right-hand side to beat his man before picking out Ross McCausland in the box with the Northern Irishman making no mistake in slotting the ball home.

The Gers started brightly in the second-half with McCausland having a chance early on but his curling left-footed effort was just over the bar, before Malcolm Ebiowei saw his shot deflected wide for a corner.

Leon King was denied an equaliser by the Aberdeen goalkeeper as Kane Ritchie-Hosler’s corner fell for him on the edge of the box but his low shot was saved by Ritchie.

Rangers were pushing for an equaliser as Nathan Young-Coombes touched the ball back along the goalline but it was hacked away by Aberdeen before reaching Ross McCausland.

Young-Coombes was denied an equaliser by the goalkeeper as he produced a fantastic save to deny the Gers striker from close range, while the keeper also saved Kyle McClelland’s header after he got on the end of a corner.

Despite the second-half efforts, Rangers couldn’t get that all important equaliser as Aberdeen progressed to the final.

Aberdeen: Ritchie, Ngwenya, Booth, Paterson, Turner, Ramsay, Hanratty, Barron, Dangana, Ruth, Duncan. Subs: Hyslop, Barry, Dalling, Mykyta, Duncan, McIver, Shanks.

Rangers: Budinauckas, Devine, Henderson (Anderson, 85), King, O’Connor, McClelland, Ebiowei (McKee, 66), Miller, Young-Combes, Ritchie-Hosler, McCausland. Subs: Hogarth, Fraser, U. Balde, Hampl.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk