RANGERS progressed to round four of the Scottish Youth Cup this evening with a comfortable 4-1 victory over Glasgow rivals Queens Park.

Against an organised and fired-up Spiders outfit, it took a quite wonderful Ryan Sinnamon goal to break their resolve before Tom Walsh added an almost-as terrific goal two minutes later, and it became a trio of incredible strikes through sub Josh Jeffries in the second half before Jamie Barjonas rounded-off the scoring in injury time.

The early moments saw Rangers completely dominate the ball, although any attempts they had on goal came from distance with Ross Lyon, Liam Burt and Max Ashmore all trying their luck from outside of the area.

Queens Park were doing exceptionally well to limit any Rangers’ forays into the area, and it was eventually yet another effort from distance (and what an effort at that) which broke the deadlock on the 25 minute mark.

Ryan Sinnamon, who has spent an injury-ravaged spell on-loan at Falkirk this season but was allowed to play this evening, picked the ball up on the right and, with the aid of the underside of the crossbar, he walloped an effort into the back of the net.

It was the breakthrough the young Gers were looking for, and it wasn’t long before it was 2-0 thanks to another terrific goal.

Tom Walsh, a substitute in the first-team’s 2-1 reverse at Hibernian yesterday, came inside with the ball from his right-wing berth before slamming the ball beyond the outstretched arm of Craig Melrose and into the back of the net.

The second half was drifting with very little happening until Ross McCrorie took matters into his own hands.

With shades of former Ibrox favourite Madjid Bougherra, McCrorie collected the ball inside his own half and powered forward, evading defender after defender before he was eventually chopped down bu Cameron Foy on the edge of the penalty area in extremely crude fashion.

From the resultant free-kick, Sinnamon fancied his chances of another long-range stunner but he was denied by the defensive wall of the Spiders.

That at last kicked a little bit of life back into the home side, and they edged further in front thanks to yet another exceptional goal.

From the right again, substitute Josh Jeffries, who had replaced Tom Walsh when he limped off injured, accelerated away from two Queens Park players before looping a stunning effort into the postage stamp from all of 25 yards, and once again goalie Melrose had not a hope.

Jeffries came close to repeating the trick in the closing minutes with almost a carbon-copy effort, but this time his shot was just over the bar.

There was to be some late cheer for the visitors as a shot from Euan MacPherson on the edge of the area wrong-footed Robby McCrorie to hand them a goal their efforts on the evening probably just about deserved.

That looked to be the final action of the match until the dying seconds when Jamie Barjonas got his name on the scoresheet as another Sinnamon effort deflected into his path for him to poke home.

So Rangers progress into the hat for the next round as they look to go one better than last season when they were defeated in the final of the competition.


RANGERS: Robby McCrorie; Sinnamon, Brownlie, McCrorie, Mills; Lyon (Barjonas, 80), Ashmore, Thompson; Walsh (Jeffries,37), Roberts, Burt (Dallas, 76).

SUBS NOT USED: Wright, Bradley.

QUEENS PARK: Melrose, Mitchell, MacDonald, Foy, Houghton, MacKenzie, Wylie, Gallacher, Mortimer, Quinn, Brennan.

SUBS: Stott, Brown, MacPherson, Connelly.

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk