RANGERS Under-18’s continued their winning start to their league season with a 4-0 win over St Johnstone at the Hummel Training Centre this evening.

Matt Yates opened the scoring with a superb curling free-kick before a second-half strikes from Kane Ritchie-Hosler and Julian Anderson and an Alex Lowry penalty gave the Gers their eighth win on the bounce since the start of the league campaign.

Rangers started brightly and had a chance straight from kick-off as the ball broke for Matt Yates who fired a shot across goal, with the keeper at full stretch it went just wide of the target.

On the third minute Aaron Lyall worked well down the right hand side before cutting into the penalty box and picking out Alex Lowry but the midfielders curled effort was just wide of the St Johnstone goal.

Matt Yates had a shot saved by the keeper on the 16th minute as he got on the end of a ball from Murray Miller. Yates done well to  beat the defenders but his powerful shot was saved by Jack Wills.

St Johnstone threatened as Ewan Loudon made ground down the left before getting a shot away which hit the side netting.

Jay Hogarth produced a good save on the half-hour mark as he was called into action as Ewan Loudon curled a shot towards goal from inside the area but Hogarth was able to get his hand to it to touch it behind for a corner.

Rangers were in front just before the break as they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box after a foul on Murray Miller.

Matt Yates stepped up to take the set-piece and curled a fantastic effort around the keeper and into the top left-hand corner of the net for his seventh goal of the league campaign.

Yates was substituted at the break and replaced by Chris McKee, who almost added a second early in the second-half. Good pressure from Rangers saw them regain possession in a dangerous area with the ball breaking to McKee but his shot was saved by Wills in the St Johnstone goal.

However, the early second-half pressure paid off as a cross by Aaron Lyall was spilled by the keeper and fell for Kane Ritchie-Hosler.

Julian Anderson almost added a third a few minutes later as he tried a shot from distance but it was just wide.

Rangers were awarded a penalty on the 61st minute as Kane Ritchie-Hosler fed the ball through to Chris McKee who was taken down in the box by Sam Denham.

Alex Lowry stepped up to the spot and beat the keeper with his powerful right-footed penalty.

On the 74th minute Ritchie-Hosler picked the ball up on the right and fed a perfectly weighted pass forward to Chris McKee who hit it first time across goal but it was just wide of the target.

With less than 10 minutes remaining Rangers added a fourth as Kane Ritchie-Hosler picked out Julian Anderson  in the box. Anderson’s first shot at goal was blocked by the keeper, but he made no mistake at firing home at the second attempt.

Rangers: Hogarth, Muir (Devine, 70), Henderson, Miller (McKinnon, 60), McClelland, O’Connor, Lyall (Allan, 70), Lowry (King, 70), Yates (McKee, 45), Anderson, Ritchie-Hosler. Subs not used: Thackray.

Article Copyright © 2020. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk