RANGERS under-18’s got off to a winning start in the CAS Under-18’s league with a victory over Greenock Morton at the Hummel Training Centre this evening.

Second-half goals from Matt Yates and Ross McCausland saw the young Gers side run out 2-0 winners in their first league game of the season.

David McCallum’s side started bright and in the first minute Harris O’Conner produced a long ball forward to find Ross McCausland on the right before he cut inside and found space but his shot was straight at Chris Wylie in the visitor’s goal.

On the 7th minute Alex Lowry played the ball forward to Robbie Fraser who drove a dangerous ball across the face of goal which was diverted wide for a corner.

Chris McKee had a chance at goal for the Gers as he found space down the left but his shot was pushed wide and into the side netting by the keeper.

Greenock came close to opening the scoring when a cross fired in by Liam Motherwell was diverted away from the head of Michael Garrity as Robbie Fraser turned the ball behind his own net.

Jack O’Connell in the Rangers goal was called into action on the 34th minute as he pushed wide a shot from Aiden Craig.

Rangers started the second half in similar fashion to the first and almost opened the scoring within the first minute. Chris McKee made a good run down the right before getting a shot across goal to meet Ross McCausland but the Greenock keeper managed to get down quick to save the close range effort.

McCausland again had an effort just a few minutes later as he was played through by Alex Lowry and took a touch round to keeper but Wylie in the visitors goal managed to rescue the ball before McCausland could get his shot away.

In a spell of chances for Rangers McCausland crossed the ball in to Chris McKee who tried to flick over the keeper but his effort was just wide of the target.

Alex Lowry was denied by the keeper as his right footed curling shot from just outside the box was saved by Chris Wylie.

Rangers early pressure in the second-half paid off as they opened the scoring on the 54th minute. Matt Yates played the ball through to Chris McKee who done well at the edge of the box to find space to feed that ball back through to find the run of Yates who slotted low past the keeper.

The visitors almost had an equaliser just three minutes later as Coby O’Brien was through on goal and lifted the ball over keeper Jack McConnell but his effort bounce back off the crossbar.

Substitute Adedire Mebude had a chance to get on the score sheet on the 70th minute as he was found in space at the edge of the box but his effort was just wide of the Morton goal.

Morton had two long range efforts just off target within close space of each other as the visitors searched for an equaliser. Michael Garrity saw his powerful shot drift just over the bar before Josh Couper also tried from distance but was just off target.

Rangers doubled their lead on the 82nd minute as Ross McCausland netted from a tight angle after being played through by Matt Yates.

Michael Garrity had another shot from outside the box for the visitors on the 86th minute but his low dipping effort was saved well by 15-year-old McConnell.

There was almost a third for Rangers late on as Yates played through Mebude but his shot was cleared off the line by the Greenock defence.

Rangers: McConnell, Muir, Fraser (Henderson, 61), Balde, McClelland, O’Connor (MacKinnon, 76), McCausland, (Ure, 86), Devine, Yates (Allan, 89), Lowry (A. Mebude, 61), McKee. Subs: Cowie, MacKinnon, Allan, Strachan.

Greenock Morton: Wylie, McLeod (L. McEwan, 60), Duffy (A. McEwan 68), Stafford, Docherty, Motherwell, Coll, Couper, Craig, Garrity, O’Brien. Subs: Miller, O’Connell, Gallacher, Jeffrey.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk