RANGERS Development squad were back in action today in their first game after the Christmas break as they faced Motherwell at the Hummel Training Centre.

First-half goals from Josh McPake, Jamie Barjonas and Glenn Middleton had the Light Blues in control before Motherwell got one back with five minutes of the game remaining.

The Gers had a chance early in the game as Glenn Middleton’s cross was headed towards goal by Ciaran Dickson but his effort was saved by goalkeeper Peter Morrison.

Morrison was again called into action on the 14th minute as Jamie Barjonas played the ball into the path of midfielder Ben Williamson who drilled a powerful effort towards goal from outside the box, but the Motherwell number one got a strong hand on the shot to turn it behind for a corner.

Rangers got the opener on the 18th minute after a great run from Josh McPake before he played a one-two with Ben Williamson and drilled a low effort beyond Peter Morrison.

The second came just four minutes later as the referee awarded Rangers a penalty as Nathan Young-Coombes was taken down in the box.

Glenn Middleton stepped up to the spot and made no mistake in slotting the penalty into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Graeme Murty’s side were in control of this friendly, and added a third 10 minutes before the break. Ciaran Dickson did well to win the ball back on the half-way line before finding the run of Jamie Barjonas who drove towards goal before beating the keeper with an effort from outside the box.

McPake almost added a fourth just before the break with a shot across goal but it drifted just wide of the post.

Motherwell had a chance early in the second half as Ross McIvor’s shot was pushed away by Brian Kinnear.

Chances for either side were few and far between in the second-half with the Gers already holding their three goal advantage.

Graeme Murty made a number of changes in the half, including Kieran McKechnie who returned from over eight months out injured.

The Gers had a couple of chances to add a fourth as Jamie Barjonas had an effort saved and McKechnie was denied by the foot of keeper Peter Morrison.

Motherwell got a goal back in the last five minutes as Ross McIvor touched the ball home for the visitors.

Rangers: Kinnear, Butterworth, Shiels (Miller, 76), Finlayson, McClelland (King, 45), Williamson, Middleton (Lyall, 49) Barjonas, Young-Coombes (McCausland, 54), Dickson, McPake (McKechnie, 61). Subs: Budinauckas.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk