RANGERS Under-18’s beat St Mirren 2-1 this evening in their first match back after the Christmas break.

The Gers were behind in the friendly at the Hummel Training Centre after a St Mirren goal inside the first 15 minutes but goals from Ross McCausland and Chris McKee had Rangers ahead.

David McCallum’s side had an early chance inside the first few minutes as Chris McKee had a shot at goal blocked before Matt Yates saw his effort saved by the keeper.

St Mirren threatened on 11 minutes as they hit the post with a shot which was cleared by the Rangers defence. From the resulting corner, a cross was fired in which was tapped home from close range to give the visitors the lead.

Matt Yates and Umaro Balde had chances for the Gers as they looked for a road back into the game with Yates’ shot dragged just wide of the target and Balde seeing his effort saved by the visiting keeper.

The Light Blues got their equaliser on the 33rd minute as Ross McCausland picked the ball up on the right before cutting inside and hitting a shot across goal and into the back of the net.

Rangers were in front before the break as Chris McKee’s shot was blocked by the keeper but he made no mistake in firing the rebound home.

The visiting goalkeeper denied the Gers a third in the dying stages of the first-half as Adam Devine cut the ball back to Cole McKinnon but his powerful shot was tipped just over the bar by the keeper.

The pressure continued from Rangers into the second-half as McKinnon picked out Matt Yates but the keeper was out quickly to block his shot. A few minutes later Robbie Fraser came close to a goal as his effort hit the post.

The visitors had a spell around the hour mark as they were denied an equaliser after a good save by Jay Hogarth.  Five minutes later they thought they had got that second goal as the ball was in the back of the net but it was flagged offside.

Matt Yates was next to have a shot for the Gers as his effort hit the post before being cleared.

Cole McKinnon had a couple of chances to add to the scoring as his headed effort toward goal was saved by the keeper before a shot was also saved.

With just a few minutes remaining McKinnon picked out Umaro Balde with a cross but his close range shot was blocked well by the St Mirren goalkeeper.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to www.rangers.co.uk