A LIFE on the ocean wave was always seemingly inevitable for the youngest of the founding fathers given the sea-faring family to which he belonged but it was the ocean wave that tragically claimed his life at the age of 25.

Campbell had been born and brought up on the Gareloch as the son of a successful steamboat master and shipping entrepreneur and when he moved to Glasgow he joined the Barclay Curle shipyard as an apprentice.

When he and his friends Peter and Moses McNeil and William McBeath struck upon the idea of forming a football club it was no doubt a welcome release from the Clyde-side for Peter.

He served a five-year apprenticeship with Barclay Curle and a further two years as a journeyman until 1879 while playing for the newly-formed Rangers.

He was one of the better players in the fledgling side. Indeed he was described in annuals of the time as one of most outstanding players of the period.

Like his fellow founders, Campbell played in that first match in May 1872 and went on to become a pivotal player for Rangers.

Historian David Mason said: “Like Moses McNeil he was a very good young player and he was called the life and soul of the forward division playing as he did at outside left.

“He was great at taking the ball and running and defenders in order to set up opportunities for others.”

Campbell, who was vice-captain of Rangers, played for Glasgow against Sheffield in 1876 when he and Moses became the first Rangers players to gain representative honours.

However, he and his young Rangers team mates were involved in a strange situation towards the tail end of the previous year when the Light Blues played in the Scottish Cup for only the second season.

They had defeated 1st Lanark Rifle Volunteers 7-0 in the first round with Campbell scoring one of the goals and next up were 3rd Lanark RV.

Rangers won the match 1-0 with Campbell scoring the only goal and they thought they were on their way but 3rd Lanark complained that Rangers had kicked off both halves! A replay was ordered and Rangers lost 2-1.

He scored five goals in the 1876/77 Cup campaign when Rangers made it all the way to their first final but as previously described they agonisingly lost 3-2 in a second replay to Vale of Leven.

Rangers’ record victory in any competitive match is 13-0 and they did it twice in the 1877/78 Scottish Cup with Possilpark and Uddingston the victims. Campbell scored a hat-trick against the former and was also on target with one against the latter.

The dreaded Vale of Leven beat them 5-0 in a 4th round replay that season and after the controversial final of 1878/79 when the two sides drew 1-1, Rangers failed to turn up for the replay when their protest over a disallowed goal was thrown out.

By this point he had earned two Scotland caps and they were both achieved against Wales. Campbell, wearing the No9 shirt, scored twice as the Welsh were hammered 9-0 at the first Hampden Park and then he also scored in a 3-0 win at Acton Park, Wrexham on April 7, 1879.

His last match for Rangers was a Scottish Cup tie against the dominant Queen’s Park which was lost 5-1 in September 1879 and then he became one of the first Scottish players to move to England when he joined Blackburn Rovers and played for them briefly before hanging up his boots.

The smell of the salt was too strong in his nostrils. He is said to have had seven spells at sea with the London-based merchant ship Margaret Banks in the next three years and then, fatefully, he was on board the St Columba which was bound for Bombay with coal when it left Penarth in South Wales in January 1883.

In horrific weather the boat never got past the Bay of Biscay off western France and Peter was pronounced drowned on March 3.

Tragically drowned off the Bay of Biscay at the age of 25

Born: 6 March 1857, Garelochhead

Appearances: 24

Goals: 15

Honours won with Rangers:

Caps – 2 (Scotland)