JIMMY Millar was an overnight sensation when he first played at centre forward for Rangers’ – though by then he had been at the Club for more than four years.

He was already a half back of outstanding promise for Dunfermline when Rangers manager Scott Symon bought him for £5,000 in January 1955.

In the long run he turned out to be one of Symon’s best value-for-money signings, going on to score four goals in a match FOUR times. But it was a slow start.

Millar played his first match for Rangers just two weeks after joining the club at inside left in a 2-1 League defeat by Dundee.

In his first three seasons he played a mere three League games – all of them in different positions. One of those games was at centre half, which was quite surprising considering that Millar was only 5ft 6ins tall!

He gave a glimpse of what was to come in 1957-58, scoring five goals in 25 League games either at half back or inside forward.

But it was at the end of the following season that Millar got his big break and, as so often, it came by accident.

Rangers were due to play Staevnet in an end of season friendly in Denmark. Regular centre forward Max Murray was injured and Millar took his place.

The result was extraordinary. Rangers won 4-0 – and Millar scored them all.

It wasn’t a fluke as Millar was to prove in a career that brought him 162 goals in 317 games for Rangers.

Millar, born in Edinburgh on November 20 1934, proved as dashing and brave as any centre forward could be. His skill in the air was amazing for such a small man and he was the perfect foil for fellow striker Ralph Brand.

They became known as the M and B partnership and Brand scored countless goals from chances Millar created for him .

From the start of the 1959-60 season Millar was Rangers’ regular No.9. He scored 21 goals in 30 League games that season, including four against Arbroath, a hat-trick against Clyde and the only goal of the game to beat Celtic in the New Year’s match.

In the Scottish Cup he was lethal. Seven matches, seven goals, including both scored with headers in the 2-0 victory over Kilmarnock in the Final to win his first medal.

Millar was on fire and finished with 40 goals in 54 games – an astonishing total for a first season centre forward – including three in the European Cup in which Rangers reached the semi-final before falling to Eintracht Frankfurt.

After scaling the dizzy heights, 1960-61 was a setback for Millar, even though Rangers won the Championship. He played in 21 successive League games from the start of the season and won his first League Cup winners’ medal when Rangers beat Kilmarnock 2-0 in the Final in October.

But he suffered a slipped disc and did not appear again in domestic competition that season after mid-January.

Before his injury, Millar had scored five goals in five games in the early rounds of the Cup Winners’ Cup, including two in the 8-0 thrashing of Borussia Monchengladbach. He recovered from his back problems in time for the second leg of the European Final at Fiorentina in May 1961 when Rangers lost 2-1.

The following season, Millar scored Rangers’ first goal in the 3-1 victory over Hearts in the League Cup Final replay in December 1961. And he was in devastating form in the 1962 Scottish Cup. He scored seven goals in five games en route to the Final, including four for the second time against Arbroath. Rangers beat St Mirren 2-0 in the Final, though Millar didn’t get on the scoresheet.

Rangers were Champions again in 1962-63, in large part due to Millar’s 27 League goals, his highest tally. He scored four in match for the fourth time in the 5-0 hammering of Dundee United and hit two important hat-tricks that season.

The first was against Sevilla in the European Cup Winners’ Cup and the second took Rangers past Dundee United in the Scottish Cup semi-final to set up a meeting with Celtic. Rangers won the Final 3-0 in a replay.

Millar’s goals count that season was 45 in 55 games, his best ever haul.

The next season was to be glorious one in Rangers’ history with the winning of the Treble. Millar, however, was missing for a long spell at the start of the season and Jim Forrest took his place with great success, especially in the League Cup in which he scored 16 goals in 10 games including four in the Final against Morton.

Millar scored just six goals in his 22 League games, but saved his best for the classic Scottish Cup Final encounter with Dundee.

Dundee’s keeper Bert Slater had a memorable match and Rangers only sealed the game in the last minutes, Millar scoring twice in a 3-1 victory.

Millar was to win two more trophies in his 12 years at Ibrox – the League Cup in 1964 and the Scottish Cup in 1966, both against Celtic.

In that last Final, when only Kai Johansen’s goal split the teams after a replay, Millar played at left half.

He joined Dundee United in the summer of 1967 and had a brief spell as manager of Raith Rovers.

Millar played twice for Scotland, scoring two goals on his debut in 1963 in the infamous match against Austria.

The referee abandoned the game with Scotland leading 4-1 after Austria lost their heads and had two men sent off.

Millar won three Championships, four Scottish Cups and three League Cups in his 12 years with Rangers. Despite his size, he proved through his bravery and skill that he was as good a centre forward as the club has ever had.