MOST Rangers fans are well aware of the formidable Iron Curtain defence which was so dominant in the immediate post-war years.

However, the men who did the defending in the all-conquering team of the 1930s might just give them a run for their money considering the lavish successes of the period.

At the heart of it was George Brown who was a fantastic Rangers player throughout the decade and went on to serve the club until the 1970s as a director.

He played on the left side of a half-back line which also included inspirational captain Davie Meiklejohn and Jimmy Simpson, whose son Ronnie went on to play for Jock Stein’s Celtic in the late 1960s.

The thing was the Rangers fans who watched Brown emerge must have thought they were looking at a new exciting forward player. Signed from Ashfield Juniors in September 1929, Brown was an instant sensation scoring six goals in his first seven matches.

He was essentially covering at inside right for Jimmy “Doc” Marshall, who was injured for long spells that season.

Brown’s first appearance was a comfortable as it could be. He was in the side that defeated Ayr United 9-0 on November 16, 1929, and scored one of the goals.

Rangers were four points clear of Motherwell going into the traditional New Year match with Celtic at Parkhead and it was the stuff of dreams for George, scoring a late winner on his Old Firm debut, securing a vital 2-1 win, giving Rangers their first derby victory there since 1902!

He was a champion in his first season as Rangers held off Motherwell by five points, scoring 11 goals in 17 games. However, he missed out on the Scottish Cup Final success over Partick Thistle due an injury as Rangers completed the “Grand Slam” for the first time, also winning the Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Charity Cup.

He made his international debut appropriately at Ibrox when Scotland drew 1-1 with Wales on October 15, 1930 with team mates Dougie Gray and Alan Morton also in the side.

In total he played 19 times for his country and captained Scotland twice towards the end of the decade. Indeed they were the last matches he played for his country.

You can imagine his joy at skippering Scotland to a 1-0 win over England at Wembley on April 9, 1938 – when a certain Bill Shankly played right half – and then he was captain when the Scots won 3-1 in Holland a month later. If only they could achieve results like that nowadays.

It was in the 1930/31 season that he moved to his regular position of left half and he scarcely missed a match for the next eight years as Rangers won six of the next eight Championships.

Having missed out on the 1930 Cup Final, he was on the winning sides in 1932, 1934, 1935 and 1936 as Rangers made Hampden a second home

Rangers played a number of friendly or charity games in these days and there was none so poignant as the game with Stoke City on October 19, 1937 which was held to raise fund for the Holditch Colliery disaster appeal.

An explosion in the mine killed 57 men and Rangers happily made the journey – with Brown in the side – to play at the Victoria Ground.

The game finished goal-less but it raised £2000 for the appeal. In appreciation the Stoke chairman Sir Francis Joseph presented Rangers with the Loving Cup.

The cup was one of a limited number that were created for the silver Jubilee of King George V and was presented to all English First division clubs.

Sir Francis made one request that at the first home game of every year that a toast should be given to the monarch. This simple tradition is still carried out to this day and the Loving Cup is on permanent display in the Ibrox trophy room.

Brown’s Rangers career was winding down when War broke out in 1939. However, football was essentially his “second” career. Brown, who had qualified from Glasgow University, was a qualified teacher and to that end only trained with Rangers in the evenings.

He eventually became headmaster of Bellahouston Academy, which is close to Ibrox, and went on to the Rangers board of directors joining fellow legend Alan Morton and serving until the early 1970s.

He helped out in terms of the signing of players and was the man sent to Belfast in 1950 to complete the move of Billy Simpson, who went on to became a sensational goal-scorer for the club.

Appearances: 339

Goals: 23

Honours won with Rangers:

League (7) – 1929/30, 1930/31, 1932/33, 1933/34, 1934/35, 1936/37, 1938/39

Scottish Cup (4) – 1931/32, 1933/34, 1934/35, 1935/36

Caps – 19 (Scotland)