JAMES Scotland Symon was different from most football managers in that he had none of the extrovert characteristics often associated with the role.

He was a quiet and reserved man who had been a Rangers player under legendary manager Bill Struth.

By the time he was chosen to succeed the great man in 1954, Symon had proved himself not only a very good player but also a manager with the right pedigree for the job.

He determined to carry on the traditions established by Struth and his achievements included steering Rangers to their second League, Cup and League Cup Treble in 1963-64.

Born in Errol, near Perth, Symon turned professional with Dundee in 1930. He moved to England in 1935 for a three year spell with Portsmouth before signing for Rangers in 1938.

An outstanding wing-half with a ferocious tackle, he was a member of the side that won the League title in 1938-39. He won one cap for Scotland in the 3-1 victory over Hungary in 1938.

Symon was the first man to play both football and cricket for Scotland and would have had more soccer caps but for the intervention of the Second World War.

Like so many of his generation, much of Symon’s playing career was spent in wartime football and he retired in 1947 having played just 37 Scottish League games for Rangers.

Symon became manager at East Fife, gaining promotion to the old First Division in his first year. The Fifers also won the League Cup under him, beating Dunfermline 3-0 in 1949-50, and reached the Scottish Cup Final in the same year losing 3-0 to Rangers.

He took over at Preston, where the star player was Tom Finney, in 1953. The following year his team reached the FA Cup Final at Wembley where they lost 3-2 to West Bromwich Albion.

When Bill Struth retired, Symon returned to Ibrox and the team won six Championships under him, including back-to-back League and Cup Doubles in 1962-63 and 1963-64.

Symon was also the manager who first took Rangers into Europe, competing in the 1957 European Cup. He also guided them to two European Cup Winners’ Cup Finals, losing 4-1 on aggregate to Fiorentina in a two-leg Final in 1961 and 1-0 to Bayern Munich in extra time in 1967.

Symon, Rangers’ third manager, was to be the last of the old school bosses. After him came a new breed who would don tracksuits to join the players on the training pitch.

Despite his success, the manner of his dismissal was a shock. Symon was sacked in November 1967 at the age of 58 after rejecting a move to make him general manager and let a younger man run team affairs. He left with Rangers at the top of the League.

He became a director at Dumbarton and later managed Partick Thistle.

Symon died in 1985.