ALLY McCOIST’S Rangers have broken the club’s post-war record for successive wins in competitive games after beating Forfar at Ibrox this evening.

The comfortable 6-1 victory over the Loons was the Light Blues’ 19th on the bounce which beats the 18 set by Walter Smith’s treble-winning side of 1992/93.

It is a terrific achievement by the current crop of Ibrox stars who again produced a confident display to sweep aside Dick Campbell’s men and continue their recent impressive run.

Four goals from man-of-the-match Nicky Clark took his personal tally for the season to seven while Lee Wallace and Lee McCulloch also found the net as Rangers made it 14 wins from 14 League One games.

McCoist made one change to his starting eleven with Fraser Aird taking the place of Arnold Peralta and straight away the home side set about opening the scoring.

After just three minutes a terrific through ball from Lewis Macleod found the overlapping Wallace but after skipping beyond two defenders keeper Darren Hill was there to block his shot.

In the next attack, however, the first goal arrived and Wallace was the provider. His cross was perfect for Clark and the striker did brilliantly to head the ball powerfully into the net.

Rangers looked to double their advantage quickly but on 24 minutes Forfar equalised with a stunning goal. A deep cross into the Gers 18-yard box was cleared out to Swankie who took one touch before hitting a soaring shot across Cammy Bell and into the opposite top corner.

It was a moment of magic from the number 10 but the stunned silence around the stadium didn’t last long as Rangers got their noses in front again almost immediately.

Jon Daly worked hard on the edge of the box and when he squared the ball to Clark he shot first time and the ball took a nick off Darren Dods before soaring high beyond Hill and into the net.

Rangers were now back in the groove and on 36 minutes it was Wallace that made it 3-1. Not for the first time the marauding Scotland star burst inside and with Forfar’s defence retreating he curled a delightful right foot shot into the bottom corner or the net.

Forfar already looked a beaten side and on 42 minutes Clark piled on more misery when he completed his hat-trick.

Ian Black’s dipping shot from 30 yards smashed off the cross bar and came back out to Clark who reacted quickly before slotting the ball confidently beyond the helpless Hill in front of the Broomloan Stand.

The Rangers players continued to show their hunger and desire at the start of the second period and two minutes in a powerful shot from Macleod was nodded onto the cross bar by Seb Faure.

On the hour mark another terrific Wallace made its way across Forfar’s 18-yard box but Clark, at full stretch, could only fire the ball over the cross bar and into the bears in the Copland Stand.

With the game losing its edge McCoist made his first change with David Templeton replacing Nicky Law and fans didn’t have to wait long for Rangers’ fifth goal.

A corner was played in and when Mohsni glanced the ball on Clark was there again at the back post to slot it into the net.

After scoring against Falkirk in the Scottish Cup on Saturday, Templeton was clearly out to impress again and on 69 minutes his quick feet won his side a penalty after he was brought down by a clumsy challenge from Ross Campbell.

Lee McCulloch stepped up and beat Hill low to his left although the keeper did get a hand to the ball but was unable to stop it sneaking into the corner of his net.

This was to be the last goal from an overall entertaining game and although a late shot from substitute Dean Shiels would have added icing to the cake had it went in the Rangers fans once again saw plenty of goals from their continually improving side.

RANGERS (4-1-3-2): Bell; Faure, McCulloch (Cribari 77), Mohsni, Wallace; Black; Aird, Law (Templeton 65), Macleod; Clark, Daly (Shiels 75)

SUBS: Simonsen, Peralta, Smith, Crawford

GOALS: Clark (5, 26, 42, 66), Wallace (36), McCulloch (70pen)

FORFAR (4-4-2): Hill; Baxter, Andrews (Dale 46), Dods, I. Campbell; R. Campbell, Storie, Faeroe, Swankie; Templeman (Fusco 46), Hilson (McManus 21)

SUBS: Douglas, Malin, Kader, Fotheringham

GOALS: Swankie (24)


REF: Crawford Allan

ATT: 38,745

{module Article Footer Generic}

Article Copyright © 2016. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to